ANN: bytestring-trie 0.2.3

wren ng thornton wren at freegeek.org
Sat Feb 12 12:47:39 CET 2011

-- bytestring-trie 0.2.3

A long-awaited release for efficient finite maps from (byte)strings to
values. This version adds a number of new functions for taking advantage
of the trie structure.

At the Haskell Symposium 2010, Milan Straka presented a wonderful paper
comparing the state of the @containers@ library pre-GHC7. In it he
compared the new @hashmap@ against the buggy old @bytestring-trie@ 0.1.4
(the major bug was fixed in 0.2.2 released 2010-06-10), and I've been
meaning to update the package ever since. I haven't had a chance to do
an extensive performance analysis yet, but it's worth clearing up some
misconceptions--- which is what this release is all about.

If you are only interested in being able to associate strings to values,
then you may prefer the @hashmap@ package which is faster for those only
needing a map-like structure. This package is intended for those who
need the extra capabilities that a trie-like structure can offer (e.g.,
structure sharing to reduce memory costs for highly redundant keys,
taking the submap of all keys with a given prefix, contextual mapping,
extracting the minimum and maximum keys, etc.)

While hacking on another project I noticed that @bytestring-trie@ didn't
actually export many functions taking advantage of the trie structure.
So let's fix that!

-- Changes (available in 0.2.2, but not announced previously)

* Added some functions for treating tries like priority queues
(minAssoc, maxAssoc, updateMinViewBy, updateMaxViewBy). Currently these
are only exported by Data.Trie.Internal though future releases may
re-export them from Data.Trie too.

-- Changes (since 0.2.2)

* Added Data.Trie.Internal.alterBy_: A variant of 'alterBy' which also
allows modifying the sub-trie. This is useful for cases where you want
to alter a number of values which are each prefixes of one another
(e.g., "a", "ab", "abc",...).

* Added a number of "contextual" mapping functions (contextualMap,
contextualMap', contextualFilterMap, contextualMapBy) which give access
to the sub-trie rooted at each value. Currently these are only exported
by Data.Trie.Internal though future releases may re-export them from
Data.Trie too.

* Added strict variants of a number of functions in
Data.Trie.Convenience (fromListWith', insertWith', insertWithKey',
unionWith').

* Added some additional functions for building tries from association
lists (fromListWith', fromListWithL, fromListWithL') as suggested by Ian
Taylor.

* Converted the definitions for fmap, foldMap, traverse, and filterMap
to use the worker/wrapper transform. This appears to be an optimization,
though I don't have a decent benchmarking suite for verifying this.

* Lots of tweaks and improvements to the documentation.

-- Future work

* I'm still not leased with the situation of having so many different
variants of fromList. There must be a nicer solution which generalizes
over all of them and doesn't have the various pessimal corner cases...

* The priority queue functions still need some work to make them general
as well as comprehensive like the other functions in Data.Trie.Internal
are.

* I still need to do a thorough performance analysis. The code for
Data.Trie was based very closely on the code for Data.IntMap. Milan
Straka found a number of ways to optimize the Data.IntMap code, so I
need to incorporate those into the Data.Trie code.

-- Links

Homepage:
     http://code.haskell.org/~wren/

Hackage: