Proposal: Applicative => Monad: Is there any consensus?

Roman Leshchinskiy rl at cse.unsw.edu.au
Fri Feb 4 10:55:36 CET 2011

John Smith wrote:

> The idea is that if this proposal is accepted for GHC 7.2, other
> proposals can be put forward for the same version. All the changes should
> land in the same release.

This change requires an update of the Haskell report. Tying Prelude
changes to the libraries process and GHC releases doesn't seem right to
me. At the very least, I would expect such a proposal to include
corresponding patches to the report.

In general, a piecemeal redesign of the Prelude is IMO a very bad idea. If
it needs to be redesigned then this should be done in one big sweep to
minimise the number of times we break people's code and also to have a
chance to ensure that the changes are somewhat consistent.

BTW, http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/4834 contains 3 patches,
one for GHC, one for Happy and one for base. IIUC, the first two don't
really depend on the base patch and should perhaps be integrated into the
code bases now, regardless of the outcome of this discussion.

Roman