parsec3 vs parsec-3.x

Christian Maeder Christian.Maeder at dfki.de
Wed Feb 2 09:07:05 CET 2011

Am 01.02.2011 21:29, schrieb Roman Cheplyaka:
> * Christian Maeder <Christian.Maeder at dfki.de> [2011-02-01 15:03:41+0100]
>> Am 31.01.2011 22:28, schrieb Roman Cheplyaka:
>>> From the description of parsec3 on hackage
>>>
>>>   [...] I do not recommend to unconditionally use parsec3 as dependency
>>>   in cabal files of packages for hackage. But you may want to develop
>>>   your code using this subset of parsec3 modules and finally change the
>>>   dependency from parsec3 to parsec-3.1.1 [...]
>>>
>>> I got an impression that parsec3 should be used only during the
>>> development, not in a released package. But as a developer of a package
>>> I have pretty good understanding of what modules I'm using, and if in
>>> doubt I can simply run "grep -r Text.ParserCombinators.Parsec ."
>>>
>>> Maybe it would become more clear if you elaborate on who and how exactly
>>> might benefit from this package?
>>
>> I agree, parsec3 is of limited use. It only ensures a disjoint module
>> name space with parsec2 xor parsec1 for old or more portable code.
>
> Please don't get me wrong, I am not claiming that it's useless, rather
> genuinely trying to understand what problem it solves.
>
>> So you could have parsec2 and parsec3 code without being forced to
>> compile your parsec-2.x sources via the compatibility layer of parsec-3.x.
>
> You mean using Parsec 2 and Parsec 3 interfaces in one package?

No, the parsec-3.x packages contains already both interfaces, but with a
different implementation for the Text.ParserCombinators.Parsec modules.

With parsec3 and parsec1 you'll get (at least in my eyes) a better
(though incompatible) implementation for the
Text.ParserCombinators.Parsec modules.

> But why would anyone want to develop a package with one implementation
> (Parsec 2) and release it depending on another implementation (Parsec 3
> compat. layer)? (If I got you right.)

I assumed parsec-3.x will be installed anyway earlier or later by some
other packages (there by shadowing parsec-2.x) and I considered
installing parsec3 and parsec1 (or parsec2) in addition as the greater
disadvantage than going through parsec-3.x's compat-layer for casual
users, who may not be able to cope with ambiguous module names (i.e. via
.cabal files).

The main problem is that the parsec-3.x package is not split up into two
packages, which would allow to install the compatibility layer
separately if needed.

HTH Christian