Should the PVP be changed with regards to instances?

John Lato jwlato at
Wed Dec 21 12:20:07 CET 2011

Sorry, forgot to cc libraries...

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 11:16 AM, Henning Thielemann
<lemming at> wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Dec 2011, John Lato wrote:
>> I'm in the same situation, however I'm quite hesitant to add new
>> instances in a minor version.  Adding new dependencies can cause
>> breakage even without orphan instances, if downstream packages import
>> a different version of that dependency already.
> The proposal was about adding type class instances, not about adding package
> dependencies.

IME, new type class instances usually arise only because of new
package dependencies or a major version bump to an existing
dependency, either of which would currently require a major bump.