Should the PVP be changed with regards to instances?

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 17:12:32 CET 2011

Hi,

I find myself reluctant to add new instances to the unordered-containers
package, because doing so would require a major version bump according to
the PVP. Major version bumps are annoying for several reasons:

 * Libraries that depend on unordered-containers need to be updated and
make new releases.
 * We get rapid successions of major releases without many actual changes
(i.e. none as far as most users are concerned).

Introducing new instances is unlikely to break users, as they will only get
into trouble if they use orphan instances, which is already asking for
trouble!

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Johan