fail, MonadFail, or MonadPlus? (was Re: broken Monad Either instance?)

Iavor Diatchki iavor.diatchki at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 02:15:57 CET 2011

Hi,
this is the way things used to be in Haskell 1.4 (if you are curious
take a look at page 21 of
http://haskell.org/definition/haskell-report-1.4.ps.gz).  I am not
exactly sure why the change with the "fail" method happened but I
think it had something to do with concerns that depending on the
pattern your program might get a different constraint (e.g. Monad vs.
MonadPlus).   To me this seems perfectly reasonable I don't know why
it was perceived as a problem.
-Iavor
PS: I believe at the time of Haskell 1.4 the MonadPlus class was split
into two parts MoandZero with just "zero" and a superclass that added
the "plus" method.  The idea is the same though.