Proposal: Make `NFData` a fundamental/primitive type-class (by making `deepseq` a GHC-boot package)

Herbert Valerio Riedel hvr at gnu.org
Thu Aug 25 08:54:52 CEST 2011

On Wed, 2011-08-24 at 22:38 +0100, Ian Lynagh wrote:
> > > Moreover, this would pave the way for a future proposal to merge the
> > > `deepseq` into `base` at some later point.
> >
> > I'm strongly in favour of this also. IIRC Ian was the one who objected
> > most strenuously last time. What sayest thou, Ian?
>
> In general, my opinion is still that we should be trying to make base
> smaller, not larger.

That's fine too -- although merging `deepseq` w/ `base` is beyond this
proposal (I mentioned it for the case `NFData` was about to make its way
into a future Haskell20xx (Library) Report).

But what's about the actual proposal at hand? +1 or -1? :-)

However, out of curiosity and generally speaking: What should be part of
`base` anyway? The current descriptions says

| This package contains the Prelude and its support libraries, and a
| large collection of useful libraries ranging from data structures to
| parsing combinators and debugging utilities.

-- hvr