How to contact OpenGL package maintainer (where is Sven?)

Jason Dagit dagitj at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 05:13:06 CEST 2011

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 6:21 PM, Jens Petersen
<juhp at community.haskell.org>wrote:

> On 7 April 2011 06:51, Don Stewart <dons00 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Moving those modules under OpenGL.*.*.StateVar etc would remove the
> > problems with upgrading to the HP.
>
> Perhaps it would be a good time now to revisit again whether
> we really need to include OpenGL support inside HP or not.
>
> I grant that it may be convenient for users who might find it
> hard to build OpenGL and GLUT with cabal-install; on the other hand
> not that many haskell packages actually need those libraries AFAICT
> so I am still not convinced that they really belong in HP.

Let's look at some numbers:
http://www.galois.com/~dons/hackage/march-2011/mar-10-to-feb-11.txt

<http://www.galois.com/~dons/hackage/march-2011/mar-10-to-feb-11.txt>Search
for opengl and you'll see that it's in the top 25, meaning it's used by a
relatively high number of packages.  That means we're discussing a library
that provides a unique capability (opengl support) that is in the top 25 of
the Haskell libraries.  Not making it easy to get seems like a bit of a
strategic error to me.

The reverse package index shows what depends on it:
http://bifunctor.homelinux.net/~roel/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/revdeps/OpenGL-2.4.0.1#direct

And some things depend on the raw bindings instead:
http://bifunctor.homelinux.net/~roel/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/revdeps/OpenGLRaw-1.1.0.1#direct

Additionally, I've had 1 person contact me off list saying that they
wouldn't even be a Haskell programmer if the opengl bindings were not in the
HP.  If there had been any barrier to getting good opengl support when they
started learning Haskell that would have been a show stopper for them.

Jason