Proposal: Replace QSem, QSemN, SampleVar in base

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Wed Apr 13 21:28:08 CEST 2011

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 02:48:03PM +0100, Chris Kuklewicz wrote:
> This is my first proposal to change some things in "base" and I trust
> that my request is not going to be perfect.
>
> The packages that I am proposing to change are all in Control.Concurrent
> and build on MVars: QSem, QSemN, and SampleVar.  I wish to change them
> because this will fix an important bug they have in common.

Have you considered putting them in a separate package instead, where
interested people could better care for them?

As far as I can see, the only things that use them in a GHC tree (other
than a couple of tests and benchmarks) are mergeIO and nmergeIO in
Control.Concurrent, both of which look like they haven't been touched
for some time, and if still wanted could also be moved out into the
other package.

Thanks
Ian