Summary of containers patches

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 05:55:49 EDT 2010

On 24/09/2010 09:41, Thomas Schilling wrote:
> On 24 September 2010 06:19, Don Stewart<dons at galois.com>  wrote:
>> ivan.miljenovic:

>>> I'm not arguing against it; I'm just arguing against whether or not a
>>> fork would be beneficial.
>>
>> Indeed. I'm surprised we're actually considering rolling back Map
>> specialization -- and the big improvements that gives us -- for what
>> seems to be a small percent in binary size.
>>
>> Recall Johan's recent user survey: people are asking for more
>> performance, and more reliable performance, not shaving binary sizes.
>
> That would be true if we actually had numbers on how the changes
> affect programs in the wild.  Your performance claims are based on
> micro benchmarks.  Who knows whether code bloat will offset the
> performance gains on any "real" benchmark.  One GHC object file
> *tripled* in size, for example.  This is probably because it's simply
> wrapping Map, but it's still not clear how it may affect other
> programs.

It's not a wrapper for Map, in fact.  The module is here:

   http://darcs.haskell.org/ghc/compiler/cmm/CmmStackLayout.hs

it's just a client module that happens to call a lot of Map functions.
The keys aren't Ints (or at least, most of them aren't).

We didn't see any difference in GHC's performance with the first round
of Map changes; in fact GHC allocated a bit more afterward.  We didn't
investigate any further, and of course that's just one data point.  The
difference wasn't significant enough to warrant backing off.

> All I'm saying, be careful with these numbers.

+1

Cheers,
	Simon