Proposal: Generalize the RandomGen and Random classes

Yitzchak Gale gale at
Wed Sep 15 17:51:47 EDT 2010

Thomas DuBuisson wrote:
> 3) Not-so-new extensions are used to enable these changes.  Extensions
> include MultiParamTypeClasses, FlexibleContexts, and FunDeps.

This package is a basic part of Haskell, so it should conform to
the standard. So I think this proposal is premature. If those extensions
are all added to Haskell 2011 or whatever, then it could be considered.

In the meantime, these are great ideas. It would be wonderful to have
alternatives to random on Hackage that implement these and other