Crypto-API is stabilizing

Thomas DuBuisson thomas.dubuisson at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 17:34:30 EDT 2010

Marcel noted:

While BOS said:
> Also, don’t use RandomGen for your asymmetric PRNG. The
> default implementation in System.Random gives absolutely
> disastrous performance, and the typeclass is just
> misdesigned (the split function shouldn’t be present).

Ok, ok.  I never liked RandomGen either - I start this whole thing
because of my PRNG and it doesn't fit RandomGen one bit.

I've build Data.Crypto.Random.RandomGenerator - a new class that fixes
the aspects of RandomGen I don't like.  This is something I was
considering anyway, so it's probably best now and not as an API upset
in a couple months.

There is a blog on this [1], but the main points about the new class are:

1) Generates bytestrings, not Ints
2) Generalized PRNG construction and reseeding
3) 'split' is in a different class.
4) Clean failure via Either (RandomGen forced you to use exceptions)

And minor points
- Providing additional entropy while requesting data is allowed and
has a default instance so most users can ignore this all together.
- a newtype wrapper and instance allows all RandomGenerator instances
to be used as RandomGen when needed.

Who cares about this?  Anyone wanting to get random IVs for block
cipher modes (without getIV_IO) and anyone wanting to generate
asymmetric keys using the AsymCipher class.

What can you do?  Accept this API, help improve the API, or argue that
we should stick with RandomGen (despite short-comings noted on the
blog).  Please pick one and get to it!

Cheers,
Thomas

P.S. I would like to get crypto-api onto hackage by the end of the
first week of September, but understand this is a fairly large change
and will slide that date if there is an unusual strong objection.

[1] http://tommd.wordpress.com/2010/09/02/a-better-foundation-for-random-values-in-haskell/