Haskell Platform Proposal: add the 'text' library

Tyson Whitehead twhitehead at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 11:11:43 EDT 2010

On October 19, 2010 19:35:33 Duncan Coutts wrote:
> Right, that's a very common misunderstanding of Unicode. A Unicode
> code point (type Char) does not correspond 1:1 with the human notion
> of a character. It would be nice if it did, but unfortunately it is
> not something we can ignore. Because of this it is better not to think
> of operations on individual Chars but on short sequences of Chars. In
> any case, when processing text (even ASCII where Chars do match
> characters) many of the most common operations that you want are
> substring not element based.

I read the wikipedia article on code points, but still do not feel I have a
firm grasp as to what exactly you are referring to.

If you have a few minutes, would you mind providing a short example to clarify
this with a specific example (e.g., a specific code point that gives issues with
a 1:1 model and what those issues are).

Thanks!  -Tyson