Functor => Pointed => Applicative => Monad

Stephen Tetley stephen.tetley at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 10:30:57 EST 2010

On 29 November 2010 13:28, John Smith <voldermort at hotmail.com> wrote:

> fmap = map
>
> This could be part of a legacy module, along with any other eliminated
> duplicated functions. Historical cruft remains in Haskell far too long; is
> there no desire for an occasional cleanup?

Speaking personally, I'm quite happy to have both map and (functorial) fmap.

Haskell's intention is to be a "state of the art _functional_
language", so keeping the functional core doesn't seem unwarranted to
me. There is the Charity language which was "categorical" first, and
"functional" second if people really want a "crystal mountain".