[Gtk2hs-devel] move Gtk2HsSetup.hs to gtk2hs-buildtools

Claus Reinke claus.reinke at talk21.com
Thu Nov 25 12:43:02 EST 2010

>>> b) putting Gtk2HsSetup.hs in either gtk2hs-buildtools or any other
>>> library
>>> means that ./Setup.hs has to run to realize that this library  is
>>> missing
>>> and that it needs to be downloaded. However, ./Setup.hs  cannot be run
>>> because it imports Gtk2HsSetup.hs which is not yet  available.
>>
>> There is MIN_VERSION_<package>(), so you might be able to check
>> whether it is defined/has the right version, if it comes with the tools
>> package.
>
> Does that work in Setup.hs? I thought that these CPP macros were
> generated by the 'confgure' step, which may not have been run yet.

argh. You're right - the macros are not available in Setup.hs. I
keep forgetting that because it would be useful to have them
there

    http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hackage/ticket/326

So, if putting the file into the tools package doesn't suffice, we'd
be back to passing in CPP macros from .cabal files (or using a front
Setup.hs to check the configuration info before calling out to a
version-specific SetupX.hs).

Claus