Haskell Platform Proposal: HLint

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Mon Nov 15 11:06:57 EST 2010

On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 12:42:52AM +0200, Yitzchak Gale wrote:
> Ian Lynagh wrote:
> > (Speaking as someone entirely unfamiliar with both packages, so this may
> > be a crazy idea), I wonder if it might be better rename haskell-src-exts
> > to haskell-src and for this to just be a major version bump. After all,
> > nowadays more and more "extensions" are going to be part of the
> > language, and who would actually use haskell-src once haskell-src-exts
> > is part of the platform?
>
> I am opposed to this proposal as stated.
>
> The generated syntax tree of haskell-src-exts is huge and
> unmanageable if all you need is core haskell, or a subset thereof.
> I have used haskell-src in situations where haskell-src-exts
> would have been so much more work as to be unusable.
>
> Also, it is very worthwhile to have code which describes exactly
> the syntax of standard Haskell. In fact, releasing an updated
> version of haskell-src should be a required step for each iteration
> of the Haskell Prime process.

In that case we presumably should have
    haskell98-src   (== what is now haskell-src?)
    haskell2010-src (doesn't currently exist?)
    haskell-src     (== haskell-src-exts)

It isn't actually necessary to rename haskell-src-exts, but haskell-src
seems to me like a better name for it. I don't have a strong opinion,
anyway.

Thanks
Ian