Proposal: Add IsString and Monoid instances for Doc

Bas van Dijk v.dijk.bas at
Mon Nov 15 10:35:35 EST 2010

(Apparently my previous message didn't come through so this is a resend)

On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 5:38 PM, Bas van Dijk <v.dijk.bas at> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 3:25 PM, Thomas Schilling
> <nominolo at> wrote:
>> Did you test how many packages this would break, i.e., how many
>> packages define their own instance for Monoid Doc?
> No, but I will try do that later today. Thanks for reminding me.

I just did an analysis on how many packages would break if we add
Monoid and IsString instances for Doc. There are no packages that
define a (orphaned) Monoid instance for Doc. There's one package that
adds an (orphaned) IsString instance for Doc: numerals (of which I'm a
maintainer and which uses the PVP so it won't break).

So I think we can go ahead an apply the patch attached to the ticket: