Contribution vs quality, and a few notes on the Platform process

Isaac Dupree ml at isaac.cedarswampstudios.org
Sat Nov 13 17:37:45 EST 2010

On 11/11/10 11:08, Ian Lynagh wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 08, 2010 at 03:04:29PM +0000, Duncan Coutts wrote:
>>
>> and to stop us all from hiding behind "oh I thought you were
>> going to do it" and "ah sorry I've been a bit busy".
>
> Someone asked me the other day what the role of the haskell.org
> committee chair is, and it struck me that what I see as the chair's
> roles (making sure things keep moving, and ensuring that all issues
> raised get resolved) are what was missing from the HP steering
> committee.
>
> What you've proposed is essentially that each addition proposal gets its
> own chair, and maybe that is enough, but I wonder if the HP SC should
> have a general chair too. The chair would ensure that someone realises
> that they're responsible for a particular issue, perhaps encourage
> people to make more proposals, start discussions like the Great Licence
> Debate, and so on.

Yes, I think we should at least have a dispatcher who notices when a
discussion is starting that needs a committee-member assigned to it, and
enlists a committee-member (normally the next person on the queue).  I'm
indifferent whether the same person gets more responsibilities (it may
depend on whether someone wants to volunteer to do that outreach).

-Isaac