Nothing can link with gtk on Snow Leopard

John Lato jwlato at
Thu Nov 11 06:27:11 EST 2010

> Message: 5
> Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 12:43:40 +1030
> From: Mark Spezzano <mark.spezzano at>
> Subject: Nothing can link with gtk on Snow Leopard
> To: libraries at
> Hi,
> I'm running Mac OS X Snow Leopard. I've done a "sudo cabal install gtk
> --global" on my system, and it warns me that "file was built for unsupported
> file format which is not the architecture being linked (i386)". What does
> this refer to?
> Subsequently, nothing else _links_ properly with gtk.
> For example, hp2any-manager (or other tools) all fail during linking with
> gtk.
> Am I doing something wrong?

At one point I had this problem due to hsc2hs attempting to build 64-bit.
 What happens if you try running:

cabal install gtk --global --hsc2hs-flags=--cflags=-m32

(I think that's the incantation I used).

Apologies for not remembering more details, but I'm strongly suspicious that
the issue lies in hsc2hs.