Haskell Platform Proposal: HLint

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 11 06:01:29 EST 2010

On 11 November 2010 09:23, Niklas Broberg <niklas.broberg at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 8:56 PM, Ian Lynagh <igloo at earth.li> wrote:
>> On Sun, Nov 07, 2010 at 11:41:18PM -0500, Sterling Clover wrote:
>>>
>>> I would like to propose haskell-src-exts for inclusion into the
>>> platform [...] At a (near) future point, we could then discuss
>>> removing haskell-src from the platform.
>>
>> (Speaking as someone entirely unfamiliar with both packages, so this may
>> be a crazy idea), I wonder if it might be better rename haskell-src-exts
>> to haskell-src and for this to just be a major version bump. After all,
>> nowadays more and more "extensions" are going to be part of the
>> language, and who would actually use haskell-src once haskell-src-exts
>> is part of the platform?
>
> I'm in favor.

I would also advocate this approach.

I would recommend making a normal HP proposal, but include in it that
the plan is to replace the existing haskell-src HP package, and to
keep the name haskell-src. See the recent mtl-2 proposal for example,
which entirely replaces the implementation, but keeps the same package
name.

Duncan