Haskell Platform decision: time to bless parsec 3?

Christian Maeder Christian.Maeder at dfki.de
Mon Nov 8 07:51:38 EST 2010

I still favor parsec 2 over parsec 3 because

a) parsec 3 is no longer haskell98 (as major parts of parsec 2 are)

b) I don't like the compatibility layer (modules with re-exports) of
parsec 3 for parsec 2

Without the compatibility layer (b) and making the package a new major
version of parsec, we would probably not discuss this issue.

I think the maintainers of "parsec 3" should create new package
"parsec3" without the compatibility layer. A new package parsec2 was
already created.

There are simply no blessed parser packages!

The problem is that so many package simply have "parsec" as dependency,
otherwise I would vote for removing parsec from HP (or vote for parsec2).

Christian