Summary and call for discussion on text proposal

Bryan O'Sullivan bos at serpentine.com
Mon Nov 8 01:49:31 EST 2010

On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 12:49 PM, Ian Lynagh <igloo at earth.li> wrote:
> Maybe I'm misunderstanding the issue, so my question was too specific.
> AIUI the motivation for the current text API is:
>
>    The design of the Text library encourages the use of substring
>    operations because these are expected to be more commonly used and
>    because correct handling of Unicode often requires substring
>    operations (due to issues with combining characters).

Actually, my motivation in using the types I did was due to ease and
frequency of use and ease of providing good performance. I didn't look to
existing Haskell libraries for the ease-of-use perspective, but instead to
Python and Perl. Whether or not this helped or hindered handling of Unicode
wasn't a factor; it helped *programmibility*.