Haskell Platform Proposal: add transformers and revise the mtl package to depend on it

Anders Kaseorg andersk at MIT.EDU
Tue Nov 2 14:57:16 EDT 2010

On Tue, 2 Nov 2010, Don Stewart wrote:
> Note that you've added MonadCatchIO as a dependency to cgi, which is
> *not* part of the platform. This will prevent cgi being upgraded in the
> next HP release.

Yeah, I added that in March with cgi 3001.1.8, in an effort to improve
cgi’s exception handling situation [1].  Unfortunately, I learned a few
weeks ago that MonadCatchIO is actually subtly broken [2], and although
this problem does not affect cgi’s use of MonadCatchIO (with ReaderT and
WriterT), it did throw a bit of a wrench into my plan to propose
MonadCatchIO for addition to HP.

In fact, I have been working on a replacement for the MonadCatchIO
functionality [3], which I hope will be awesome and could eventually end
up in the transformers library.  I plan on uploading a package and
announcing it within a day or so.

But I’m not sure whether it’s realistic to expect the community to be
confident in the new package before the next HP freeze, so maybe the best
option for now is to backport the fix and upload a cgi 3001.1.7.4?

[1] http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/libraries/2010-March/013169.html
[2] http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-cafe/2010-October/084890.html
[3] http://docs.yesodweb.com/blog/invertible-monads-exceptions-allocations/#disqus_thread
    (see comments)