Corrected unix patch

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Wed May 19 10:53:17 EDT 2010

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 19:21, Eric Mertens <emertens at galois.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> It looks like my darcs-fu is a bit rusty. I've attached the patch with
> all of the changes to this message for adding the missing functions to
> unix package

It was a while ago that I looked into uid/gid issues on Unix, but as I
remember it it wasn't very straight forward, especially for setting.
Particularly worrying was that it is fairly easy to get into the
position where one thinks that the uid/gid has been irreversibly
changed from root, while in fact this isn't the case.  I also remember
that the "correct" way of  changing uid/gid differed between Unix
platforms.  A quick look at this patch leads me to believe that this
hasn't been taken into account.  Am I correct in this?

The paper that removed the mist surround uid/gid was Setuid Demystified[1].

/M

[1]: http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~daw/papers/setuid-usenix02.pdf