[Haskell-cafe] Announce: Haskell Platform 2010.1.0.0 (beta) release

Lauri Alanko la at iki.fi
Tue Mar 30 05:34:47 EDT 2010

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 08:06:17AM -0700, Don Stewart wrote:
> Live from (post-) Zurihac, I'm pleased to announce the 2010.1.0.0 (beta branch)
> release of the Haskell Platform, supporting GHC 6.12.
>
>     http://hackage.haskell.org/platform/

Hi.

I'm a bit confused about this "beta branch" thing. I was looking to
compile and install the latest "stable" version of GHC+libraries. The
GHC 6.12.1 download page <http://haskell.org/ghc/download_ghc_6_12_1.html>
says:

	For most users, we recommend installing the Haskell Platform
	instead of GHC. The current Haskell Platform release includes
	GHC 6.10.4 as well as some other tools .... This initial
	6.12.1 release is aimed primarily at package maintainers and
	early adopters.

Then again, the Haskell Platform download page
<http://hackage.haskell.org/platform/linux.html> says:

	You need GHC 6.12.1 installed before building the platform.

There is no mention of "beta" anywhere on that page, and everything
seems to imply that GHC 6.12.1 + Haskell Platform 2010.1.0.0 is now
the recommended combination for ordinary, non-cutting-edge users. The
warning on the GHC download page and your mention of "beta" seem to
indicate otherwise, though. But what, then, is the current "stable"
(or "blessed") version of the Platform, and where can I download it? I
can't find any links to earlier versions on the Platform's home page.

Thanks.

Lauri