Network library patches

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 01:33:30 EDT 2010

Hi Johan,

> Sorry about not getting back to you earlier, things have been quite hectic
> around here.

Here too :-)

> I think we need a co-maintainer for network that actually uses Windows daily
> and has the time and experience to have the library keep up with changes
> affecting that platform (i.e. new versions of GHC and/or Windows). I have a
> local Windows XP install in a virtual machine that I use for testing before
> making releases but using it is quite painful.

Agreed. Alas, that is not me. If the platform has network, then
someone in the platform team might be best. If network was in the
platform and worked reliably then I'd rather never compile/install
network, since I usually use it only as a dependency to other packages
I use.

> In your original email you mentioned that you changed all the occurrences of
> CALLCONV to stdcall. While this makes everything compile for you it is the
> wrong thing for other platforms which don't use stdcall. The CALLCONV define
> is supposed to expand to the right thing for each platform and it has worked
> in the past and it worked the last time I tried it on Windows XP/GHC 6.12.
> We need to figure out why it doesn't work for you.

I know my fix is Windows only, I wasn't aiming for portability, just
simplicity. As Claus subsequently said,
--configure-option="--host=i386-unknown-mingw32" makes it work for me,
so perhaps the configure script is getting the wrong platform?

Thanks, Neil