Haskell platform proposal: time-extras package

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 16:18:09 EDT 2010

I would definitely prefer to have the Data/Typeable instances in the 'time'
package itself wrapped with the same sort of prophylactic baggage that
surrounds it in the containers, bytestring, and other haskell platform
packages. It would be far less likely to cause confusion in the future than
with the profusion of solutions we see today:

* some packages providing it
* others requiring a third-party package
* and yet others not exposing enough details for third-party support to be
written at all

Regardless, some canonical location for those instances needs to exist to
prevent people from rolling their own contradictory instances.

So I'm a strong +1 to just including the instances in an appropriate wrapper
to be extended as more compilers add support, and a reluctant but still
sturdy +1 if you really feel that those instances really can't be in good
conscience be rolled into time.

-Edward Kmett