Landing pages and help for the HP

Heinrich Apfelmus apfelmus at quantentunnel.de
Mon Mar 22 05:49:59 EDT 2010

wren ng thornton wrote:
> Don Stewart wrote:
>> http://hackage.haskell.org/platform/new/
>>
>> Has two new changes:
>>
>>  * Per-platform "landing" pages, where we can describe the packages
>> for each system:
>>
>>     + http://hackage.haskell.org/platform/new/mac.html
>
> The current version of the Mac landing page says to "Follow the install
> instructions", except there is no INSTALL file in the dmg. Perhaps the
> wording should be changed to say something like "Open the bundles and
> follow the instructions", or a trivial INSTALL file added to the dmg?

The usual documentation on Mac OS is to embellish the disk image with a
background image that explains pictorially how to install, for instance
like this

      /|\
     / | \                   /====  To install:
     \ | /                  | ====  Open this package
      \|/                    \====  and follow the instructions

  platform-2010.2.0.0.pkg

Example applications:

  Firefox
  http://myfirstmac.com/images/uploads/articleImages/FIREFOX-WINDOW.gif

  Adium
  http://www.appleunited.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/adium.jpg

  Skype
  http://sam.brown.tc/img/2006/08/skype.jpg

(Since these are application bundles, the installation procedure is
different from that of the Haskell Platform.)

Regards,
Heinrich Apfelmus

--
http://apfelmus.nfshost.com