Haskell Platform: Updates to package spec for 2010.1.0.0. Time to start testing installers!]

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 11:21:33 EDT 2010

On 14/03/2010 18:41, Don Stewart wrote:
> johan.tibell:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 3:43 AM, Don Stewart<dons at galois.com>  wrote:
>>
>>         -- utf8-string              ==0.3.4    -- NEW
>>

>> Are we sure we want to standardize on this? I understand that many people use
>> this library as it was the best option available for a while. However, the
>> 'text' library seems to be a better candidate from a technical perspective and
>> is now mature enough that we could consider including it in the platform.
>
> Yes, I'm not sure what we want to do about GHC shipping things like a
> fork of binary (ghc-binary) and a version (old) of utf8-string.
>
> Shall we ignore those libs? That would match the policy better -- it is
> just lucky for the users that ghc will dump a few extra things on their
> machine.

ghc-binary is a dependency of the ghc package, so we need that.  It's
unfortunate that it is visible.

utf8-string was shipped accidentally, I believe - it's a dependency of
the GHC front-end due to being a dependency of Haskeline, but it isn't
needed for anything else.  Ian, are we fixing that in 6.12.2?

Cheers,
	Simon