Please don't deprecate Haskell 98 modules.

Iavor Diatchki iavor.diatchki at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 15:07:59 EST 2010

Hello,

I agree with John because I don't think that adding warnings about
using the haskell98 package achieves anything meaningful.  The issue
seems to be a matter of taste---some people like it, some don't, and
we already have a system that lets us choose if we want to use it or
not.  It certainly does not seem in the same class of problems as
"incomplete patterns in definitions", for example.

As far as indirect dependencies are concerned, I agree that it might
be nice to have more control over the packages on which we depend
(certainly important in the case of GPLd libraries) but that has
nothing to do with the haskell98 package.

-Iavor

PS:  By the way, I don't see how hierarchical names are important in
any way to Cabal or hackage: I agree that using "." in module names
instead of, say, "_" might look a bit nicer (or just more familiar?)
but, as features go, this is a pretty small one.