linking in cabal haddock (was: [Haskell] ANNOUNCE: barchart-0.1.1)

Sebastian Fischer sebf at informatik.uni-kiel.de
Tue Mar 9 06:24:20 EST 2010

[moving to libraries mailing list]

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Sebastian Fischer <sebf at informatik.uni-kiel.de>
> Date: March 8, 2010 10:56:16 AM GMT+01:00
> To: Haskell <haskell at haskell.org>
> Subject: Re: [Haskell] ANNOUNCE: barchart-0.1.1
>
>> barchart is a command-line program with associated Haskell library

After announcing the barchart package, I have some problems building
its Haddock documentation.

Firstly,

> The API is not generated on Hackage because the diagrams library
> cannot be built on GHC 6.12.

Hence, I tried to generate it myself, but

> Even with
>
>    --html-location='http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/$pkg/latest/doc/html'
>
> 'cabal haddock' does not generate links to the required packages.

I noticed, that 'cabal haddock' does generate (external) Links to
Hackage when I use the --html-location option after reinstalling all
required packages *locally*.

Why do I have to istall local documentation in order to get external
links?

Secondly, there are no Haddocks for the Diagrams library on Hackage
and, hence, the links from the barchart docs to Diagrams's types are
broken. I'd like to specify a custom link target for only the Diagrams
package (the Diagrams website has Haddock documentation).

Is this possible?

Cheers,
Sebastian

--
Underestimating the novelty of the future is a time-honored tradition.
(D.G.)