Deprecating haskell98 module aliases

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Mon Mar 8 15:33:50 EST 2010

On Mon, 8 Mar 2010, wren ng thornton wrote:

> Gwern Branwen wrote:
>> See http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hackage/ticket/640
>>
>> It seems to me that a warning on using the 'haskell98' package
>> wouldn't be a bad thing; those modules have since been split apart in
>> better modules, the names are ever more unfamiliar, etc.
>>
>> But Duncan thinks it merits discussion.
>
> I'm all for the warnings. And regarding guest's comments, doesn't the Haskell
> 2010 standard[1] count as an "actual language standard"? If not, then what is
> it and why isn't it one?

Actually, when using GHCi I like to have the short Haskell98 module names.
In contrast to that when writing a package for real use, that is, when I
use Cabal, then Cabal might warn that the package haskell98 is deprecated.
Even more deprecating a package by a Cabal field would be a nice thing and
then haskell98 could be deprecated this way.