Improving containers library

Milan Straka fox at ucw.cz
Wed Mar 3 11:30:47 EST 2010

Hi Axel,

<snip>

> In the context of program analysis, one tracks a lot of information
> about the state of a program at a given program point. This state is
> propagated around loops and conditionals. The implicit sharing of nodes
> in functional data structures are very well suited for this.
>
> However, whenever two states need to be joined at the loop head or at
> the end of a conditional, the two trees that represent the state need to
> be joined by performing some sort of join operation on each element of a
> tree. For all sensible domains a `join` a = a. Given that a loop or
> branch of a conditional usually touches only few variables, it is
> prudent not to perform the join operation on all elements of the tree.
> Instead, a tree-difference operation is required that traverses the two
> trees to be joined and calculates the difference between them. In
> particular, whenever two references are, in fact, the same pointer, the
> subtree does not need to be considered. This way, a join between two
> trees of size n reduces to joining only m elements where m is the
> maximum number of elements in each tree. This is a tremendous win for n
> >> m.

Any easy way of comparing pointers? I mean, if I have something like
Tree a = N | B (Tree a) a (Tree a)
and have (l::Tree a) and (r::Tree a), can I ask about the "physical
equality"?

The join would probably take O(m log n), because an insertion of
1 element changes the whole path to the new element, which is probably
of length O(log n), so log n pointers change in the structure.
You also need this time O(m log n) to construct the new data structure,
surely for small m (one could hope for O(m log (n/m)).
Still O(m log n) is definitely better than n for m << n :)

Milan