Improving containers library

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at
Wed Mar 3 10:13:07 EST 2010

Hi Milan,

That sounds like a great projects. Some thoughts/comment to each of the
points in your list.

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 3:23 PM, Milan Straka <fox at> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I have started an internship in Cambridge and will spend 3 months on
> Haskell. One of the possible projects is improving the containers
> library. Things I am thinking about:
> - measuring the performance of existing implementations (notably Map and
>  Set) and possibly improve them (either without or with API changes),

In case you didn't know about it already, Criterion is an excellent
benchmarking library. We've been using it extensively when benchmarking the
event library. You can find some example benchmarks for a priority search
queue at:

> - adding Queue and a PriorityQueue,
> - maybe adding a generalized trie,
> - maybe adding a hashtable (more like a trie of the hashes, something in
>  the line of Ideal hash trees; and maybe a 'classic' hash modifiable in
>  the ST monad?)
I would be grateful for any comments, thoughts or wishes.

Something I've been thinking about lately is how a containers library using
associate data types would look like. Perhaps it would be interesting to
investigate that as well.

-- Johan