can I indicate that an old version is not to be used, and some more questions

Sittampalam, Ganesh ganesh.sittampalam at credit-suisse.com
Fri Jul 23 05:06:03 EDT 2010

S. Doaitse Swierstra wrote:
> I uploaded a version of the uu-parsinglib to hackage. Only later I
> discovered that it depended on a verion of base >= 4.2, whereas I
> indicate > 4 in my .cabal file.
>
> I repaired this by uploading a new version in which only the cabal
> file has changed. This raises the following questions:
>
>  - the Haskell code did not change, but I still had to bump the
> version number?

The package as a whole has changed. I think that requiring a version
number bump is the right thing to do, otherwise there is no certainty
about what precisely a given version of a package actually is.

>  - can I remove the incorrect version or indicate that it is
> superseded by the new version?

Isn't that implicit in having a bumped version number?

>  - since I do not have a wide variety of Haskell installations and
>    package versions on my machine, it would be very nice if the
>    hackage server could test a package against the extremes of the
> indicated dependency ranges before installing. This would have
> prevented the mistake I made (and which undoubtedly others will make
> too)

There's work going on in this area with the hackage 2 server, but I
think it'll mostly come in the form of getting build reports after a
package has been published, rather than having them rejected before
publication. The more work the hackage server itself is expected to do,
the harder it will be to maintain, so the proposed architecture is for
other people to be able to submit build reports.

Ganesh