Haskell Platform 2010.2.0.0 RC

Don Stewart dons at galois.com
Sun Jul 18 00:38:31 EDT 2010

ashley:
> On Sat, 2010-07-17 at 21:01 -0700, Don Stewart wrote:
> > Diamond dependencies, surely, will occur?
>
> The other packages shouldn't depend on the old version, even if it does
> happen to be the one shipped with GHC.
>
> The Haskell Platform should be the blessing of package versions, not
> GHC.

The current process for maintainers of bootstrap libraries is to work
closely with Ian Lynagh prior to a GHC release to make sure the correct
version of e.g. bytestring, is shipped. Looks like that didn't happen
with the time lib.

Now, something GHC boots from must depend on time, or it wouldn't be in
the bootstrap set. Hunting around, it looks like:

    random

And these boot packages depend on old-time:

    Cabal
    directory
    haskell98

So, if we clobbered the version of time installed with GHC, we'd end up
with possible diamond dep failures constructed by users of the random
package :/

I agree this is an unsatisfactory situation, that versions shipped with
GHC's boot libs are set outside of the control of the HP release team.

-- Don