Most popular libraries not in the HP

Joachim Breitner mail at
Sat Jul 17 05:47:43 EDT 2010

Am Freitag, den 16.07.2010, 09:07 -0700 schrieb Don Stewart:
> marlowsd:
> > On 15/07/2010 23:53, Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:
> >> On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 9:01 PM, Don Stewart <dons at
> >> <mailto:dons at>> wrote:
> >>
> >>     Things we might realistically propose to add for 2011.1
> >>
> >>         New capabilities:
> >>             * Binary parsing: binary + cereal ?
> >>

> >> Why both? Their parallel existence and purpose is already confusing,
> >> without blessing the two :-)
> >
> > Right, if there are are two competing libraries and it's not clear which
> > one is best, that's a sign that we shouldn't put either in the platform
> > until the differences are resolved.  Fight it out and get back to us
> > when you have an answer :-)
> >
> They're complimentary. Sometimes you need parsing of streams, sometimes
> you need synchronous parsing of strict packets.

but it would still be nicer if the two packages could somehow converge
more. For example, as a user of the library, I’d like to be able to
parse data from a network stream as well as from a local file using
similar code, requiring only one instance, and be able to create both
kinds of a parser with one instance (or at least with very similar

If Johan’s prognosis is right and binary will subsume cereal in the
future, maybe we should only add binary to the platform at this time.

Joachim "nomeata" Breitner
  mail: mail at | ICQ# 74513189 | GPG-Key: 4743206C
  JID: nomeata at |
  Debian Developer: nomeata at