Most popular libraries not in the HP

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 07:37:01 EDT 2010

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 1:26 PM, Simon Marlow <marlowsd at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 15/07/2010 23:53, Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 9:01 PM, Don Stewart <dons at galois.com
>> <mailto:dons at galois.com>> wrote:
>>
>>    Things we might realistically propose to add for 2011.1
>>
>>        New capabilities:
>>            * Binary parsing: binary + cereal ?
>>

>> Why both? Their parallel existence and purpose is already confusing,
>> without blessing the two :-)
>>

> Right, if there are are two competing libraries and it's not clear which
> one is best, that's a sign that we shouldn't put either in the platform
> until the differences are resolved.  Fight it out and get back to us when
> you have an answer :-)

Lennart has added a continuation based interface, on top of which the
current lazy interface is implemented. The continuation based interface
supports a strict interface, with error checking. Whenever that interface is
released binary should subsume cereal.

>            * Unicode:        text
>>
>> Abstain :-)  I will observe that it needs a tiny bit more API
>> stabilisation, but that's almost done.
>>

> +1

I want to see this in HP too but I'll wait until Bryan thinks it's ready.

>             * Vectors:        vector
>>
>> Definitely want.
>>

> +1

+1