X11 missing source repo(?)

Evan Martin martine at danga.com
Sat Jan 2 11:30:35 EST 2010

On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 5:32 AM, Gwern Branwen <gwern0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 1:08 AM, Evan Martin <martine at danga.com> wrote:
>> I'd like to make a patch for the X11 package.
>>
>> I found http://hackage.haskell.org/package/X11 , which references
>> http://code.haskell.org/X11/ , which appears to be empty.  Did
>> something go wrong?
>>
>> If it helps any, the change is trivial (just want to get at the Visual
>> pointer from another package, much in the way Display and Screen are
>> exposed).
>> I'd be happy to make a Darcs format patch if you'd prefer that.
>
> The old repo is at *darcs*.haskell.org; it's apparently being moved to
> c.h.o (so as to be able to give more people the commit-bit), but
> hasn't yet been actually moved.

Thanks.  Same patch now attached.

Having written this, what would probably be even cleaner is to have
 - Graphics.X11.Xlib.Types expose abstract Display, Visual etc and
their typeclass instances
 - an extra Graphics.X11.Xlib.Internals that provides functions to go
from Display -> Ptr Display, etc

However, this would be both a non-backwards-compatible change
(currently Display is exposed as a newtype) and I lack the Haskell-fu
to write such a change (like, the newtype would need to go into
.Internals but then the deriving declaration should be in .Types?).