ANN: vector 0.5

Roman Leshchinskiy rl at cse.unsw.edu.au
Mon Feb 15 10:38:59 EST 2010

Hi everyone,

I am pleased to announce the release of version 0.5 of package vector, a high-performance Haskell array library with a powerful loop fusion framework. The main highlights compared to previous versions are:

  * DPH-style unboxed vectors (in Data.Vector.Unboxed) which use associated types to
    select the appropriate unboxed representation depending on the type of the elements.

  * A redesigned interface between mutable and immutable vectors. In particular, the
    popular unsafeFreeze primitive is now supported for all vector types.

  * Many new operations on both immutable and mutable vectors.

  * Significant performance improvements.

The library comes with a fairly complete testsuite (mainly thanks to Max Bolingbroke) and  is quite stable by now. Barring various disasters, I expect to release version 1.0 in the next 3 to 4 months.

The release is accompanied by a new version of the NoSlow array benchmark suite. A few quite meaningless preliminary benchmarks are available at:

  http://unlines.wordpress.com/2010/02/15/vector-0-5-is-here-2

Both vector and NoSlow are on Hackage. Hackers can get the darcs repos from

  http://code.haskell.org/vector

and

  http://code.haskell.org/NoSlow

Enjoy!