(Co/Contra)Functor and Comonad

Stephen Tetley stephen.tetley at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 19:28:29 CET 2010

On 29 December 2010 16:17, Mario Blažević <mblazevic at stilo.com> wrote:
[SNIP]

> The best place according to the "unambiguously recommended and easy to find"
> criteria is the base library. The next best would be a Hackage library with
> minimal dependencies, whose name exactly corresponds to the class -
> contrafunctor or control-contrafunctor, for example.

Personally, I'm at best lukewarm about minimal Hackage-hosted packages
for Base-like things. As Cabal dependencies are on version numbers
rather than capability (c.f. autoconf) I see them as much a cost as a
benefit, so I don't want to depend on things that aren't doing some
functional work.

Would a "Base 2" or "BaseExts" library that amalgamates the "less
central" structures like Comonad, Bifunctor, Semigroup, ... have value
to the community?