Proposal: keep Data.Map.foldWithKey

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 15:44:01 CET 2010

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 10:57 AM, Christian Maeder
<Christian.Maeder at dfki.de> wrote:
> It is the right answer as long as fold{l,r}WithKey are missing in
> Data.IntMap.

I don't see why being halfway towards a desired state should make us
want to go back to the previous state.

{starting point} -> {we are here} -> {here's where we want to be}

it seems it would be more work to first revert to the previous state
and then make a proposal to move to the final state (where Map and
IntMap are symmetric) than to just move to the final state from where
we are today.

> I'm in favour of adding fold{l,r}WithKey to Data.IntMap and then
> deprecating both foldWithKey functions in one go!
>
> In fact, this should have been happened. (Yet, there is no library
> proposal for this.)

I didn't need it at the time so I didn't go ahead an made that change.
I don't make the change now because I don't feel like participating in
the libraries process as I think I could provide more value by writing
code and upload it to github/Hackage than by discussing on the
libraries list.

> I simply dislike the destroyed symmetry in the 4 container modules and
> deprecating a single function.

I can appreciate that. The reason that particular function got singled
out was that it was already deprecated (in the documentation).

Johan