Proposal: Add chop function to Data.List

Yitzchak Gale gale at sefer.org
Tue Dec 14 11:57:19 CET 2010

Lennart Augustsson wrote:
> I would like to propose the following function for inclusion in Data.List
> chop...

There have been a number of proposals to add functions of
this sort to Data.List. Notably, there have been proposals
to add some or all of the functions of Data.List.Split (from
Brent Yorgey's split package), by those names and by other
names, and other related functions.

I don't remember all of those proposals, nor do I remember
which were accepted and implemented.

I'll also note that John Cage has proposed adding a similar
function, or perhaps even this exact function, on several
occasions. Again, I don't remember the details.

Perhaps this is one of the simplest and most general
proposals. In fact, in retrospect it might have been better
to leave out much of the bloat in Data.List and instead
to provide good documentation about various usages of
this function.

Regards,
Yitz