Functor => Applicative => Monad

John Smith voldermort at
Tue Dec 14 09:13:13 CET 2010

I would like to formally propose that Monad become a subclass of Applicative, with a call for consensus by 1 February.
The change is described on the wiki at, and ticketed

As this would require a change to the prelude, it will presumably be necessary for GHC and the Haskell report to change
in tandem. The Haskell' committee expects proposals to have been implemented before changing the standard, so I will
propose this to Haskell' after it is accepted for GHC. Hopefully this will be sufficient to avoid a race condition.