Library proposals

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 19:33:07 CET 2010

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 3:19 PM, Ross Paterson <ross at soi.city.ac.uk> wrote:
>> Lets look at it another way, since the libraries maintained by
>> libraries@ have a stricter process for API changes, they ought to have
>> a better API than the ones that are maintained outside the process,
>> right? At least in my opinion, the best libraries are all outside the
>> libraries@ process: bytestring, binary, text, etc.
>
> Don't you think the fact that these libraries are older, and their old
> interfaces have lots of users, might be a factor?

Perhaps, but I'm honestly not sure what effect exactly: binary and
bytestring are popular than many of the older libraries. I also find
it interesting that although many of the libraries@ packages are
older, the packages I mentioned are more mature (more well designed
APIs, more tests, more consistent code base, etc).

Johan