haskell package layout: a proposal

Malcolm Wallace malcolm.wallace at me.com
Sat Dec 4 18:41:44 CET 2010

On 4 Dec 2010, at 06:37, Mark Lentczner wrote:

> Over on my blog, I've put up a proposal for changing the default
> layout of installed package pieces:
> 	http://mtnviewmark.wordpress.com/2010/12/02/haskell-package-layout/
> Thoughts?

+1 for most of the proposal.

My only doubt is about executables currently in $prefix/bin, which in
your scheme would end up in $prefix/$compiler/$pkgid/bin.  I don't
want programs I have installed via cabal suddenly to disappear when I
uninstall an old compiler version.  I might even want to uninstall the
corresponding library associated with the executable, but have the
executable continue to be available.