Bringing the IntMap API up to par with the Map API

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at
Fri Aug 20 09:08:40 EDT 2010

Hi Stephan,

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 2:57 PM, Stephan Friedrichs <
deduktionstheorem at> wrote:

> Sorry for the long mail, but it isn't worth opening a repository yet.
> Comments? :)

While we can unify Data.Map and Data.IntMap using associated data types
(ATs) but I'm not sure if that unification alone is worth a new library in
my opinion. My biggest problem with ATs is that they don't scale well enough
to support e.g. unboxing of keys and values for every data type. See

In my opinion we need to address the issues I raised in that email before we
can create a practical containers library using ATs.