Cannot install readline on Mac OS X

Yitzchak Gale gale at sefer.org
Tue Apr 27 09:35:15 EDT 2010

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:
> This is characteristic of ABI mismatches between ports and ghc. Last I
> checked, ghc didn't work in 64-bit mode on Snow Leopard, but if you have a
> (development/prerelease?) version that does

I'm using whatever came with the Haskell Platform for the Mac.
But anyway...

> then you need to rebuild all of MacPorts with +universal.

OK, continuing to move forward.
Based on various error messages I have gotten, I did:

sudo port -f install
  readline +universal ncurses + universal libiconv +universal

Then I reinstalled the readline package, using Judah's incantation
from earlier in this thread and adding --reinstall (and sudo and
--global, in my case) to the cabal install command.

Now when compiling my Haskell program I get:

Linking pileonText ...
Undefined symbols:
  "_iconv_close", referenced from:
      _hs_iconv_close in libHSbase-4.2.0.0.a(iconv.o)
     (maybe you meant: _hs_iconv_close)
  "_iconv_open", referenced from:
      _hs_iconv_open in libHSbase-4.2.0.0.a(iconv.o)
     (maybe you meant: _hs_iconv_open)
  "_iconv", referenced from:
      _hs_iconv in libHSbase-4.2.0.0.a(iconv.o)
     (maybe you meant: _hs_iconv_close, _hs_iconv_open , _hs_iconv )
ld: symbol(s) not found
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Trying to take the hint, I did

cabal install --reinstall --global base-4.2.0.0

but that resulted in

configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: error: cannot find input file: base.buildinfo.in
base-4.2.0.0 failed during the configure step. The exception was:
ExitFailure 1

Now what?

Thanks,
Yitz