Cannot install readline on Mac OS X

Judah Jacobson judah.jacobson at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 13:27:31 EDT 2010

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 4:50 AM, Yitzchak Gale <gale at sefer.org> wrote:
> After a recent upgrade of Mac OS X from Tiger to
> Snow Leopard, I installed the Haskell Platform. I
> installed genuine readline using MacPorts.
>
> Now I cannot install the readline package,
> due to the well-known problem that configure finds
> the fake readline that comes with Mac OS X and
> refuses to proceed.
>
> I have tried the various solutions suggested in:

> http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/libraries/2009-May/011595.html
> http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hackage/ticket/631
>
> and various combinations of them. Nothing helped, the
> same problem always occurred.
>
> Any new ideas?

This worked for me on Snow Leopard:

export CFLAGS=-m32
cabal install readline
--configure-option=--with-readline-includes=/opt/local/include
--configure-option=--with-readline-libraries=/opt/local/lib

I had previously set MacPorts to compile all of its libraries 32-bit,
which makes the first line necessary for the configure script to link
properly.

-Judah