Generalize MonadIO to MonadBase

wren ng thornton wren at community.haskell.org
Tue Apr 20 22:49:52 EDT 2010

Bas van Dijk wrote:
> To be honest I also never used a stack of monad transformers that had
> another base monad than IO. So I also don't see myself using it.
>
> However I can imagine other people will use it or are already using it
> (users of MonadLib for example) and I'm interested in their use-cases
> and experiences.

I've used ST as a base monad a number of times. I rarely (if ever) use
IO as part of a transformer stack because it has no coherent semantics
and is best kept on its own. ST however gives access to mutable
references and is very useful for a number of applications. ...Not that
I've found the lack of liftST burdensome...

--
Live well,
~wren